Tuesday, 6 November 2012

Armillary Spheres

EDIT: Thanks to help from some lovely ladies in a Steampunk group, it has been identified as an Armillary sphere. It is also known as a spherical astrolabe or an astrolabe sphere, so my boyfriend was also right. I will definitely have at least one of these in the future! I might have to save up for a fancy one!

To be honest, I don't know exactly what this is called. My boyfriend suggested it might be a kind of an astrolabe. What I do know is that I have wanted one ever since I was a kid. I had a dollhouse one when I was younger, but I'd like a full size one for my home. I would prefer it to be metal.

Here are a couple of lovely examples from various episodes of Murdoch Mysteries. The first one is just about perfect in design, although I'd like it to be a little bigger.

Here is a lamp cover that reminds me of it:

Who else thinks these would make good home decor?

Now that I know the proper term for these, here are a few more lovely examples:


  1. Well, the one with the very fancy base appeals to my “the more ornate, the better” style of decorating, that's for sure! :o)

  2. I have such thing on my terrace, it looks great among the shrubs :)