Sunday, 22 May 2016

Can you wear colour and still be Goth?


When I was younger, I thought that if you were a Goth, you could only wear white, black, red, maroon, purple, dark blue and dark green. For years I stuck firmly to this colour palette. At some point, I started wondering who I was trying to impress.

These days, I have friends who identify as Goth and friends who identify as non-Goth. Most of them wear colour at least occasionally and none of them seem to care if I do.

The way I see it, if Goth is really about rebelling, you can wear what you like. If it's really about being yourself, you should wear what you like. If one month I want to be a dark sorceress and the next I want to be a faery princess, why not?

Most of my favourite music falls under the Goth, Gothic Metal or Goth friendly banner; I love cemeteries; I have studied the history of the Gothic genre and Gothic literature. No one can take my Goth card away.

Wear what makes you happy!

15 comments:

  1. I self-identified as goth from the ages of 15 to 20 (ish). I got a lot of flak from other goths for not dressing as I should (it was all black, but it was jeans, band shirts, and combat boots, not the flowy blouses, skirts, or corsets I was "supposed" to wear), not wearing make up (I still don't), not clubbing (I still don't), not drinking (I still don't), and not listening to only goth music. I dropped the label and didn't change a damn thing about me, except I would strongly say I was not goth.

    When I hit 30, I stopped caring. Call me goth if you want, call me not goth if you want. I'm not going to change who I am to please people I don't care about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say that calling yourself not Goth is the pinnacle of Gothness, lol.

      It's good to reach that age where you don' t care what people say! My anxiety won't let me stop thinking about what others think of me, even when it shouldn't matter.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, the whole no color thing was always a myth anyway. They've been dying their hair all kinds of colors, and there are subgenres that heavily depend on color, like cybergoth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! And in old club videos I have definitely spied some people not all in black!

      Delete
  3. We are Goth like those Fata in Katherine Harbour's trilogy! We can wear color and still be DEADLY! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all about covering the flesh with what speaks to the soul. The rest will settle itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Magaly. It seems to me that if you label your style you are probably limiting it also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with this! Goth is about some tastes and interests, not only about wearing back head to toe. With the coming of age, I most wear dark jewel tones combined with black in more mature outfits, and I am not even remotely worried about not being "goth enough".

    Go ahead, girl! You make it wonderfully! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great comics, something about me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly, be you!!! Fun comics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can so relate to that picture, haha!

    And I too have been very worried that I don't look goth enough to call myself goth. But nowadays I just wear what I like instead ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. :-) Exactly. But what I think is a bit scary that you often can tell if people that wear a working uniform somehow are drawn to the goth side of life O_O so even if you take everything something shows... no black clothes, heavy makeup or hair needed!

    ReplyDelete