Tuesday, 3 November 2015

Julia Margaret Cameron Exhibition

I was so excited when Australia finally got a Julia Margaret Cameron exhibition, and it was only about 2 hours away from where I lived! This is the Art Gallery of NSW. Julia Margaret Cameron was famous for her Pre-Raphaelite style photography, which has a dreamy quality to it, and her photos of various authors and artists of the time. She took up photography at 48 years of age, yet her photographs are amazing, despite her lack of experience! I did not take photos during the exhibition, you can see her photos in many books or online and I just wanted to really experience them in real life.


Giant copies of Cameron's work outside the gallery



Kat



Laura Athena, real-life Pre-Raphaelite muse


Kat


Sid the wombat and I


Fiona


Cameron's maid and muse, Mary Hillier, is also a close doppelganger for Laura Athena.


Beautiful ballet costumes in a shopping centre we passed through.


Tired Sid resting in my bag on the way home


Sid reading about her idol.

8 comments:

  1. I bet that exhibition was amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for telling me about that artist, I didn't know her before! I'll definitely look up her work now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strong, passionate, talented. Thank God she could afford all of the above. Otherwise, we would had never heard of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really neat exhibit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photo's! Such a fun group you all are! I love the museum! Beautiful indeed! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you lucky girl. I'm terribly envious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have had a great time with your own muse at hand! I wish I would dress up for an event again...

    ReplyDelete