Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Walking Dogs

 I have been walking dogs at the old pound, now run by a volunteer organisation called Gosford Dog Paws. They take great care of the dogs and are a no kill shelter, which means that only dogs that are ill or dangerous would be put down and all the rest will live there until they are rehomed. It would be nice if all shelters could do this, but realistically, if people keep abandoning pets, there are just not enough places for them to go. We need to encourage desexing of pets, responsible ownership, and adopting from shelters, not pet shops and possible puppy mills.

Volunteering to play with and walk dogs at a local shelter is a great thing to do. Dogs really think humans are their best friends, and it is nice for them to get as much human contact as possible until they go to their forever homes. It is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable things I have ever done. I love all the different personalities of the dogs, and their excitement at getting to play with a new friend.

Of course, I wish I could take them all home, but it is good to know that many of my lovely buddies have already been adopted to new homes!

Here are a few of my canine buddies (pictures from Gosford Dog Paws website)


Bella Donna is a big girl but very sweet and well behaved!






Gertie (adopted now, I think), so cute and sweet!

Gypsy, young and super energetic, with a gorgeous face!



Lewie is 12 but you wouldn't know it. He likes to stand up on his back legs and put his paws on your arm, and to roll around on his back flailing his paws while you scratch his tummy. He is a real little live teddy bear.

Memphis has the most loving personality. He likes to walk and run and to get hugs and scratches. He came for a walk with me today and sat across my lap, making a noise almost like a big cat purring as I rubbed his ears and head. I was pretty won over!

Well, those are the ones of my friends that had photos up, I hope you enjoyed meeting them and that perhaps others will consider walking shelter dogs in their local area or adopting a new friend from the shelter! Remember adult dogs have sweet personalities too, and not having to toilet train a little puppy is a plus!

13 comments:

  1. How very kind of you to think about the poor dogs! I'm not much of a dog person, but the poor bastards in the shelters touch my heart... If I ever get a dog (or rather my boyfriend does), s/he will be from a shelter, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing you are doing. It saddens me to see all these babies abandoned. In Sweden there are no (!) homeless or wild dogs, so we actually import from shelters in other countries. I wish I could say it's the same for cats, but alas...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so cute! What a nice way to volunteer! It is sad, here in Montreal, July 1st is considered moving day. The majority of the leases for apartments end on July 1st. So many people rent places that do not allow pets (which pisses me off) and then they abandon their animals at the local shelter. Now, the shelters are full to capacity of pets people left behind because they moved into a place that would not allow them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand how people can just get rid of furbabies like that! I am also frustrated at how many rental properties don't allow pets. It isn't like you wouldn' t have to pay for any damage they caused anyway!

      Delete
  4. Aw, how cool! :) Good for you! Give 'em all a big belly rub for me and Pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so lovely!! The doggies look so sweet. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all beautiful. Bella Donna has such a deep look in her eyes... I hope they all find homes very soon.

    You are an a sweet angel. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw such sweet little guys! I am such a dog lover, I want to take them all home with me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely thing to do. And you are definitely right about desexing pets and adopting from shelters rather than breeders, we need ro bw more responsible. Sometimes I just wish I could take all of them home with me </3

    ReplyDelete
  9. If we were to ever get another dog, which I doubt we will, it would be an older one from the pound. Puppies are cute, but I don't have the energy for that any more! What a wonderful thing to do, Laura. Good on ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those precious faces...I hope they all get good forever homes! Laura, I think you have a wonderful heart and soul.

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww if i had some more time on my hands i probably would do something like that, too, you for sure give them some warm light in their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow what a nice thing to do! And meeting all the dogs must be awesome :D

    ReplyDelete