Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Goth Crafts: Stencil jacket

When I found this jacket I knew that it would be perfect a couple sizes too big with a stencil of Robert Smith on the back.

First I found a nice free stencil online (actually really easy, just google it), printed it off, cut it out very slowly and carefully with nail scissors ( took about 15, 20 min and my fingers really hurt afterwards).

I got this great paint from the local craft store that you mix with acrylic paint to make fabric paint. 

Fabric paint always leaks through material a bit, so put plastic or newspaper underneath if you don' t want to make a mess of the floor, not sure how easily it comes off!









Once it was dry to the touch I put it on a hanger to dry overnight. The instructions for this one are to dry for 24 hours then iron. I Used a towel when ironing, just to prevent any possible uron ruining.




And here it is, looking pretty awesome, plus DIYing was a big part of 80s Trad Goth culture!

I am really happy with it!

20 comments:

  1. That is so coo! Love the stencil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire your stencil cutting technique, mine are never that detailed! Plus you got an awesome new jacket from this DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert Smith goes with everything:-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Robert Smith would be so proud! Awesome! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Now I totally want to stencil something on something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! And you look really pretty on that first photo! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! And the stencil is incredibly clean, I never get them to look that professional!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cool, I didn't even know you can find a stencil online!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow that looks perfect. great diy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did an amazing job, I love it.Your patience with the stencil obviously paid off!! Yay for Robert Smith =]

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out so impressively well! Looks awesome, and very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great! Fabric paint next on my list of things to try again. I'm sure it's improved since the last time I used it, probably thirty years ago now. I vaguely remember the result being pretty horrid. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be the type of fabric paint, I do remember puffy fabric paint being a big mess! Painting it nice and thin probably helped too.

      Delete
  14. Well done! It looks great, and professional.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great and easy tutorial, I loved the side note about how the cutting hurt your fingers. :) That jacket looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. definitely looks professional and probably the best way to wear some plain colored stuff ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love this! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete