Monday, 16 March 2015

Not Celebrating St Patrick's Day

From http://www.pagancentric.org/pagans-and-saint-patricks-day/

"If most people know anything about Saint Patrick, it’s that his one claim to fame is that he drove the snakes from Ireland. What most people don’t realize is that the snake is a Pagan symbol, and that the snakes referred to in the Saint Patrick mythos are not meant in the literal sense, but refer to Pagans; i.e., Saint Patrick drove the Pagans (specifically, the Celts) out of Ireland (although it could be said, and has been argued, that much has been done in Saint Patrick’s name, but that the man himself was relatively unimportant). So what is celebrated on Saint Patrick’s Day with drinking and much cavorting is, ironically, the spread of Christianity throughout Ireland and the subjugation and conversion of the Celts."

I am not only a Pagan, and a woman (who were the ones most often persecuted as witches) but also have a Celtic background, so this strongly resonates with me. Today I shall not be wearing green or a shamrock, but thinking of all the people who were pointlessly subjugated in the name of religion.

The short version:

9 comments:

  1. When Martin and I were still members of a Scotts Ren faire group (most of the members were also pagan), many of us would wear black armbands at the March faire at Angels Camp, as it was frequently held on or near March 17th, and they frequently had a "St. Patrick" character there. When anyone asked us what they were for, we always said, "We're mourning the snakes of Ireland."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, thanks! I had no idea. I'm of Polish Catholic origin and never celebrate St. P's Day just because... now I actually have a reason not to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not celebrate St. Patrick's day either for the same exact reason! How awesome, I've not met any others who share my view on this. I even have a Celtic triple spiral tattoo with a snake wrapped around it. Sort of my little representation of the pagan past in Ireland. I hope you do not mind but I have shared that image on my Facebook page. I love it! It sums it up perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't celebrate St. Patrick's since I'm not interested in most holidays anyway and it's not a very well known and popular holiday in Germany (where I come from) aditionally. Therefore, I didn't know much about St. Patrick's until now yet this is a highly interesting story and a great reason not to start celebrating it at all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew that, Laura. It's why I don't celebrate Patrick's Day either, but instead celebrate St. Gertrude of Nivelles (as much as I celebrate any "saint.") She is the Patron Saint of cats and gardeners. Her feast day is on this day, too ,and wasn't that a ploy by whatever man who decided her day would be the same as Patrick's day; he practically ensured that no one would know of her.

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. My father is Irish and I am ashamed to say I didn't know this. But then, I've never really celebrates St Patrick's day anyway. thankyou for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is Irish so he uses it as a day to celebrate his heritage. I read somewhere that St Patrick was a slave of the druids and he converted them. Yet, obviously texts can also be changed to suit the purpose of those writing it.

    ReplyDelete