Saturday, 21 March 2015

30 Day Goth Challenge Days 1-3



Just for fun, here is a picture of me from 2007 when we went to the Absinthe shop in France only to find it closed for the day. #Gothproblems :P

Day 1 – How did you come to the subculture? 

For me it was a series of unconnected events that eventually led to Gothicness.

When I was a kid I was always fascinated by the dark beauty of the black clad teens who hung out in the local park. The rather pagan looking sculptures there went well with their stark elegance. I also remember a very handsome boy wearing a cape.

I read Edgar Allan Poe as a kid and was hooked. Also Ray Bradbury's The Homecoming, a short story which also apparently really influenced young Neil Gaiman.

I had some friends in high school a few years older than me. I am still friends on Facebook with a few, as we caught up again after high school. I remember them talking about Vampire The Masquerade, and I am pretty sure one of them suggested Anne Rice to me. I especially loved how one of the guys had a pocket watch and waistcoat. I don't think I had even heard the term Goth back then. I read The Vampire Lestat in year 8.

At some point I learned the word Goth, for some reason I can't remember where. By the time I went into year 11 and got to study the Gothic genre for literature (yay!) I already dreamed of dark Romantigoth rags, black lace, red roses, a Gothic boyfriend and piles of Alchemy Gothic jewellery. I think my parents still think that studying the Gothic genre made me Goth.

In year 11 (2004, when I was 17) I was also to meet my boyfriend, now partner, who at the time had a few interesting Gothic interests. 

Day 2 – Share photos and experiences from your Baby Bat days. 

Interestingly enough, I have very few photos from my early Goth days. Perhaps it was because my parents did not want photos of me looking like that?

I have never really worn much makeup, just sometimes a little eyeshadow or eyeliner and lipstick, as I have fair, mostly clear skin, long eyelashes, and because my mum hates makeup, so I never learned properly.

All my Goth clothes back then came from op shops. I mostly had plain black clothes, a few pieces of fishnet, purple and maroon clothes. I swear I am not lying when I say I don't think I had any embarrassing outfits, although I never tried to dress super Goth, mostly just cute black dresses with black cardis and lots of lace. I guess my style was always pretty casual Goth or perky Goth. I think my few photos are packed away at the moment. You can see one on my banner, the one with the skull.

Day 3 – When did you come out the Goth closet? (If you didn’t then simply discuss the topic)

I told my parents I was Goth sometime during year 11, I think. I wish I hadn't told them as it caused trouble until the day I moved out, since they could not see me as the same person they did before I started wearing all black and the occasional safety pin. I already had problems with them before this, however, as they had some old fashioned values like not dating.

I seriously looked really hard for some photos but couldn't find any older than about 2007, some of which I am sharing in my Flashback Thursday posts.

16 comments:

  1. It is nice to learn new things about you! :) Are you in better terms with your parents now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, we get on well these days. I think at some point people just get used to how odd you are :P Plus things with parents always seem to improve after you move out and they don't feel responsible to rescue to you anymore!

      Delete
  2. Love your story! I wish that shop was opened for you! Just BE! Unique you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I am pretty awesome too ;)

      Delete
  3. I always like reading these origin stories of how people entered the subculture and the books that led them down that path. V:tm made preteen me very happy, was the end of no return. I didn't actually read Anne rice until high school... The father of a boy I dated, who really hated the goth thing and thought I was a bad influence, lent Interview to me. Lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I may just "gank it" for my next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I was always intrigued by the goth thing but my parents were religious and thought I was weird enough as it was. It's still a look I like, and I find I like a lot of the music and reading from that subculture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, my parents thought I was pretty weird too! Hugs!

      Delete
  6. meh, closed absinthe shop, sorry for you - but hey, im sure it saved you quite some money ^^ thanks for telling us so much new stuff about you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wanted to get one of those fancy spoons, but it doesn't really matter, I don't drink absinthe anymore. It tastes pretty awful, honestly, and I write better sober!

      Delete
  7. I absolutely freakin' love your blog. Thank you for visiting! Thank you for sharing all of your magic. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting reading. ;) And thanks for reminding me that I really need to read more *slaps myself*!
    There must be books about the whole gothic era? Or is that the same as the victorian era? Suddenly I feel completely noob, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee thanks, don't slap yourself too hard, I can't take responsibility for injury!

      There were different Gothic eras, Gothic architecture was more medieval, then there was the Gothic subculture in the 80s, there are heaps of good books, I really enjoyed Goth Chic too, and that talks about the influence of the Decadent and Romantic movements on eventual Gothic culture too!

      Delete