Sunday, 22 February 2015

Happy Birthday Mr Gorey!



Edward Gorey was born on the 22nd of February 1925, his wonderful darkly humourous black and white works have inspired many, including Trent Reznor, in his music video for The Perfect Drug.


His images usually have an Edwardian or Victorian flavour to them, and, I think, 1920s too.

Dame Darcy's dark cartoons and illustrations also appear to have a bit of Gorey inspiration.






And the Salem Brownstone graphic novel by John Harris Dunning


Tim Burton may well have some Gorey inspiration


Then there is this gorgeous Gorey inspired outfit (original source appears lost)




 There was even a Gorey inspired Halloween ball!




And this wedding cake! But you don't have to get married to get a Gorey cake, you could have one for your birthday! Or even for your funeral!


Has Edward Gorey inspired you? I'd love to hear about it!

8 comments:

  1. The Gorey Polyvore is brilliant, and I loved the Tinies costume too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd like that cake for my next birthday. I'm not quite ready for my funeral yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tattoo on my ankle is from the Masterpiece Mystery intro from the 1980s- a combo of the winking skull on the headstone and the lady in the bat hat. I call it Ogdred.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the post! I think my clothes and decor are certainly inspired by his work. I even shadow-boxed his Dracula toy theater.

    The Gorey umbrellas are my favorite :) I wish I could have that cake for a birthday cake ensuring that everyone would get a little tombstone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edward Gorey is such an inspiration to us gothy types!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore Gorey's aesthetics and his black sense of humour <3 I got a book of his works from my mum, and I fell in love instantly :)

    Find me at miss-shapeshifter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is pretty cool. I never knew he influence Trent Reznor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant! Very very cool! He is an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete