Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Tattoo Advice

I am not a proper source for tattoo information, these are just a few things I have learned.

SUGAR Having sugary lollies can help with the pain. Please do not do this if you are diabetic.

MUSIC Often studios will play music to listen to, otherwise you could bring your headphones. Songs you know and can sing along to always help.

MEDITATION OR CHANTING If you can chant or meditate in your head while getting tattooed it can help. It may not work for everyone. Swearing under your breath may also help, but I found chanting seemed to work better.

LAUGHTER If you have a tattoo artist you get on with and can laugh and joke, laughter also helps with pain.

HAVE A SYMPATHETIC ARTIST If it is your first time or you have a low pain threshold, like I seem to, make sure your tattoo artist is someone sympathetic who gets it and not someone mean who will just tell you to stop whining. My artist is great.

DON'T TAKE TOO LONG BREAKS Five to ten minutes to stretch and go to the toilet are fine, if you take too long a break you may not want to start again and your skin may be hurting more.

CHECKING IT OUT If you do take a short break, sometimes taking a peek in the mirror to see how awesome it is can help keep you motivated. Beware if the sight of your own blood makes you sick, though!

SHORTER STRETCHES Also consider doing your tattoo in shorter sessions, space these at least 2 weeks apart to allow for healing. I had one session for the outline (about 4hrs) and three for the colour (about 2 hours, 2.5 hours and 3.5 hours I think). I don't think I could take much longer.

BREATHE Sometimes when it really hurts, you realise you are holding your breath. As hard as it is, try to take deep breaths and relax.

FOOD Always eat before, so you will feel less dizzy. Also you won't be longing for it to be over so you can have a snack. I find having some carbs afterwards helps for me too, but it may not work for everyone.

FOLLOW CARE INSTRUCTIONS Your tattoo cost enough, take care of it when it is healing!

DON'T FREAK OUT during healing. Sometimes you will get bruises, and peeling tattoos look really gross, but it is all OK! Just don't pick it!

And obviously go to somewhere reputable!

12 comments:

  1. If you're getting one that requires you to expose a lot of bare skin, bring a blanket to keep you warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL yeah the time thing is definately great advice. My first tattoo was a little rose on my shoulder. Took about an hour. The tattoo artist thought I was nuts, I wanted my 3/4 sleeve done in one shot. I toughed it out for 6 hours. I took an hour break because I almost passed out and then made it through the last hour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe my pain threshold is very high, but tattooing didn't hurt me that much? Granted, my tat only took 2 hours, but only the part on my spine really hurt. Maybe me tattoo artist was extra careful, she said that many of her customers tell her she hurts less than others...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a mix of both. Mine is also gentle however certain parts of me seem to hurt a lot worse than others. The inside of my arm hurts at least 3x as bad as the outside which is more like a dull pain, wheras the inside is flaring hot pain.

      Delete
  4. Good advice!

    Tattoos in places with more muscle seem to hurt less than those with little to no muscle; at least that's how it works for me. Also, I found with mine that the original outlining hurt MUCH more than when he filled in the color. I guess a single needle is worse than eleven at once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think tattooing over bone was the worst but for some reason I think maybe patches of muscle or something hurt me the most! And yes, the dotted bits with the thick single needle hurt so bad!

      Delete
  5. Great advice ;o) Thank you ;o) I don't know if I want one, after reading all of this! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of work! If you don't know if you can do it, start small!

      Delete
  6. I'm so afraid that when the day comes for me to get a tattoo I will not be able to handle the pain :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get a small one first, if you hate that, at least you will have a nice small one!

      Delete