Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Australia Right Now

Well you may have heard by now that a lot is going on in Australia. I don' t usually make public comments on things that are politically charged but in this case i thought I'd make an exception. In case you haven' t heard the facts, it turns out that the gunman was a lone crazy individual who was on bail for suspicions relating to the death of his wife. It was a failure of the justice system, the mental health system, of gun control. He was not a member of a terrorist organisation.

Since this event Muslim leaders have stepped forward to condemn this man's actions and show support for those  injured or the families of the dead. Aussies of different races have used the #illridewithyou hashtag to show support for Australian Muslims fearing reprisal and offer to ride on public transport with them. It is amazing to see such an outpouring of love after such a terrible event.

I was lucky enough not to have friends or family involved and my heart goes out to those who did.

11 comments:

  1. It's all so sad... Here's hoping things will change for the better after this :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such depressing news and reminded me of our Ottawa incident with Cirillo. Afterward there was this stupid "social experiment" challenging racial and religious views. I can't imagine holding a whole group of people accountable for one idiot's actions. I feel so sorry for the families of the two hostages. : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really terrible. It made my heart break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a tremendously sad situation. It was the same case here in Canada when one of our soldiers was killed on parliament hill by a lone crazy gunman in October. While many are quick to proclaim terrorism, most of these acts have more to do with a severely disturbed individual than with a religion or terrorist organization. The outcry of support for those affected by this tragedy in Australia has been beautiful, and I am happy to know friends from such a wonderful place <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in the UK this has been headline news. I think our collective hearts went out to the people involved in this terrible event, and the subsequent tragic deaths of Tori Johnson and Katrina Dawson - ordinary people in an extraordinary situation who stood forward to protect other people, and lost their lives because of their bravery. My thoughts are with their families, and perhaps the greatest response that people could have had is the outpouring of love and lack of condemnation that Australians have shown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that Australia is pulling together after this horrific event. I'm pretty sure it would be the exact opposite in America. I'm very worried about my country and the direction it's headed.

    Healing blessings to all who were affected by this madman's actions.

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  7. The circus that arose out of this really pissed me off. Why should Muslims have to condemn his actions? Would other religious groups (especially Christians) be asked to do the same? And god f-ing dammit Daily Telegraoh, can you get any worse?
    /rant

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This gives me hope for humanity although on the other side of the globe (here in Germany) stupid people are protesting because they think that muslims are taking over their culture. Since there are about 5% muslim people here, I think they are mainly paranoid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This event was so sad. My heart goes out the friends and family of all involved. I heard about the I'll Ride With You campaign - what a lovely response, to react with love instead of fear. Way up go Aussies!

    ReplyDelete