Sunday, 16 November 2014

Body Love







If you have negative things to say about this post, please do not leave any comments. I understand that some people need to lose weight, but most of us are perfect and healthy at the size we are and it takes a certain body type to look like a celebrity! Neither thin nor curvy is superior, just be what you are!

The media tells us we either have to be really thin or have big butt and boobs but no tummy fat. Fashion bloggers are told they are too fat! NO! I REJECT THIS!

Yes, my belly sticks out, my core muscles aren't very strong. I love cake and icecream and hot chips! I try not to eat them too often because I am trying to be healthy, but I don't want to be ashamed of my body either. I AM STILL A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN!

I would not have said that a few months ago but I am learning to love myself.

My tummy size tends to fluctuate a bit due to what I have eaten, etc. You can also see how different camera angles, the angle I stand at and whether it makes my tummy poke out make me look a totally different shape. Usually I wear things that aren't so tight so this is not obvious at all. To most people this is nothing, a normal bit of belly fat, but the media makes us ashamed. If a celebrity has this much body fat they call it a baby bump!

You might not guess it but I am an Australian 12-14 (that is approx US 8-10, UK 10-12, I think). I have boobs and a butt and I like that. I would like my tummy to stick out less but I don't want to hate my body.

I have been down to an 8-10 bust, although my hips will always be big and I have a square ribcage and short body that means I will probably never have a 'waist'.

I don't normally wear tight things like this but I liked this dress so I thought what the f*ck. And then I thought I'd share a few of the non-flattering pics with you. Who knows, I may regret putting unflattering pics up online if anyone hijacks them but oh well.

I am happy with my body and with the style of clothes I wear my imperfections are usually not even obvious. Some people out there may even think my body is perfect. Well, this is why I am sharing this. To show that you can be imperfect and still look good and love yourself!

Body love! You don't have to be curvy or stick thin, you be yourself and love yourself!

I had an amazing roast dinner the other night and ate so much but I knew Id rather have a sticking out tummy than not eat all that delicious food!

And sure I would be healthier if I exercised more but life is too short to worry about what I haven't done! I like going for walks if it isn't too hot, it's not like I don't exercise at all.

I am trying to deal with my perfectionism and my desire to always be perfect which includes things like feeling driven to 'win' at NaNoWriMo, always look perfect, etc.

I don't like that my thighs rub together because it can be uncomfortable in summer, and I have cellulite, I am not perfect. And I want to get to a place where I can be OK with that. I feel like I am getting better at it.

I do sometimes use food to make me happy and eat too much junk food and I am working on that, but I don't believe in diets or not letting yourself have nice treats. There is such a thing as balance.

In the end you are born with a body type and you have to learn to love it. I could probably be quite a bit skinnier in the tummy with a lot of effort, which would probably make my bust disappear and not really make my waist any smaller because I have ribs that would make Phar Lap jealous and I have long ago learned to be ok with that.

Summer is coming up so there will be lots of lovely fruit, I also love bread and cake and the occasional roast dinner. Bring it on!

24 comments:

  1. I loved this post, and I think those pics are not "unflattering"! That dress is pretty and you rock it. :) The most beautiful thing is a person who loves themselves and is comfortable in their body, no matter what size or shape it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this post! You look fabulous!
    It's a constant struggle for everyone I think, even those that look "perfect". It's really not fair that we have to feel this way... But good on you, I hope one day I could be more okay with my body like you are! You're awesome :D
    Also, bread is amazing <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are 'Practically perfect in every way' as Mary Poppins would say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dearest, you are beautiful. We have quite similar body types, and my tummy size fluctuates too - especially from drinking or pms. Loving yourself and your body can be very hard for a woman in this destructive media run world, cudos for getting a few steps on the way! Lovely dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought you looked fine (and in the US, you're actually on the skinny side...average size is 14 here). Different global standards, I guess. Personally, I don't think we see size here...we just see your awesome outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you look gorgeous. I too have self image issues. For me, before having my son, I was very tiny. I was a size 6 or 8 depending on the time of the month. Now I am a size 11. For me, it is not just my tummy but my thighs. It is so hard to lose weight there. i got this from my pregnancy. In a lot of ways, I love my new body. I have curves, I finally got boobs because I never had any before I had my son! LOL It is hard but like you, I love chocolate and ice cream. Why should I give up the things I love to look a certain way? I think you look gorgeous and they are not horrible pictures at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is so true our bodies change over time and we can't always go back, I know my hips and butt will never be as small as they once were and I have a more womanly shape now.

      Delete
  7. Haha, what a lovely post. <3 *Sending lots of love!* ;D
    I totally agree with everything you wrote. But I honestly didn't see anything different with these pics, than the usual you show us, until I read the text. A little fat here and there is nothing - it warms a little during winter, that's all. ;)

    Me, on the other hand, is unhealthy-fat, and I need to loose weight. When I was "normal" I was happy with my body - I just need to get there again.
    I have noticed that with time you learn to love yourself just the way you look - it is nothing like when you were younger and was influensed by everyone you saw, especially media, (wich is totally sick btw).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your lovely comments! I definitely think it is important to learn to love ourselves as we are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I try to promote healthy body types and by that I mean health in general. People can be skinny or chunky and still be healthy, and in some instances these body types can be extremely *unhealthy*. Unless we happen to be doctors or nutritionists I don't think it's our place to judge anybody's body mass. I use to get harassed for being "too thin", it drove me bonkers, mostly because my body is nobody's business but my own!! Seriously, if someone is that worried about me being thin and unhealthy then they can go right ahead and buy my groceries and medication lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, some naturally thin people get crap for being thin, just as larger girls get insulted for being 'fat'. It's a crazy world!

      Delete
  10. Laura, even the movie stars and super models don't really look like what we see in photos. Perfect comes in all sizes, colors, shapes and ages and, ultimately (IMO), has more to do with what is in a person's heart rather than how they look on the outside. It would be great if the media would recognize that, but I don't think that will ever happen...

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ehm...unflattering? Laura, I always thought you looked gorgeous and I think, this dress suits you well. ^^ Anyway, I know that's not why you posted this...^^

    Right now I'm a UK size 6-10, which is rather twisted, but because my weight fluctuates and because of my hourglass shape and wide waist and therefore thick thighs, I often have to wear bottoms, that run two sizes larger, than my tops...so what? I think of it as some kind of quirk...:) On the other hand, I'm trying to lose weight, not because I want ti fit a certain standard, but because I, personally don't feel comfy in my own skin when I'm 'bigger'. Yet I think, bigger girls can be just as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's normal to be bigger in the bottom half, I am too. The important thing is to be healthy, eat well, exercise, etc!

      Delete
    2. Dunno if it's normal, I guess, it depends on your body type...:) But you're absolutely right, as long as you're healthy and happy with yourself, it doesn't even matter. :)

      Delete
  12. You are lovely just the way you are, and it's even better if you're well with it, too. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yessss! Love this post! I am very petite (5'2") and tiny on top with wide hips and a big bum! I will NEVER have a thigh gap or look like a Victoria's Secret model. But I'm healthy. I'm a runner, I do yoga, I eat that burger when I want to eat that burger! I love my body because it does what it is supposed to do. I have wide hips so that one day I can have children, and a little bit of tummy pudge to keep me warm in the winter hehe! You look beautiful, and you are perfect as you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be tiny on top but I managed to gain some bust which I am happy about, ha ha.

      Delete
  14. Lovely post <3 I think you always looks god on pictures, you always have so many different poses as well, I'm so bad at thinking of new ones when I take outfitpictures. xD

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a fantastic post! I love it! And, I think you look great in your pictures!!!! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this!! I struggle with my body image. I love reading uplifting body positive posts like this. it does help

    ReplyDelete