Thursday, 9 October 2014

Halloween Reads: The Dead Beautiful Series by Yvonne Woon


It's really hard to write a review of these books without revealing the secrets of the first book. Suffice it to say that this is not just a run of the mill paranormal romance. The alternate history, the mention of philosophers, Latin and death rituals are all fascinating.

The first book is sort of a slow revelation of the secrets of this world within our world and is the slowest moving. The second draws us deeper into it, with fascinating adventure, history and death mythos.

All three books are set in different places with different adventures so they are not repetitive, but characters carry through. We even have a pretty alternative character, Anya who appears in the second book. She was definitely my favourite!

The stories are quite dark, dealing with death. They keep revealing interesting secrets and I enjoy the way the author used historical persons in her backstory.

Well worth a read!

8 comments:

  1. I never heared of these, I'll put them on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The covers are so beautiful! I always judge books by their covers, I know I shouldn't but oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy historical fantasy as well, thank you ! xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't historical fantasy, set in the modern day but with a sort of alternate-history thing going on with secret societies, etc.

      Delete
  4. Ooh, thanks for sharing! Death and paranormal sounds just about right. ^^
    Added to the list of "must buy and read"! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am buying all of these! I have had them on my watch list. But because I have series fatigue, I had not invested the money, but after reading some reviews and your account, they are going in my cart! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! I will have to look into these! Thank you ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going to have a look at these, always enjoy finding new books to read. :-)

    ReplyDelete