Sunday, 12 October 2014

13 Halloweeny (or not so Halloweeny) Facts About Me

1. As a kid I constantly played as being a witch, I used to put petals in water and pretend I was making potions. I grew up with Meg and Mog, The Worst Witch books (the tv series didn't exist then) and read about every book on witches I could. I discovered Harry Potter when I was 12 and loved all the books.  I am pretty sure I would be a Hufflepuff though, I am really clumsy and bad at sports but good natured and friendly.

2. When I first read The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe I mistakenly thought it was a true story about a man who murdered his wife. After reading it I was hooked on Poe. I also loved the October People of Ray Bradbury's stories.

3. I have also always been influenced by the Victorian era and Gaslamp Fantasy.

4. My current favourite genre is closest to magical realism. I love dark stories about faeries. As a child I was addicted to fairytales, and know some pretty gruesome ones.

5. Despite this love of dark things, I am also EXTREMELY SUPERSTITIOUS. I believe in ghosts, monsters under the bed and bad luck. I will not say the name of The Scottish Play. The main real exception is that I don't mind Friday the 13th or black cats as I know they are ok for witchy people like me.

6. Because of being superstitious and believing in the paranormal, and because I have an extremely active imagination, this also means that stories I read or movies I see can scare me nearly to death. This means I don't actually watch a lot of scary movies or read nearly anything ghost themed. I also hate gore. I like things on the elegant Gothic side of horror. Things like Dracula, Interview With the Vampire, etc.

6. Despite thinking of myself as Gothic I no longer wear much black. I spent many years wearing all black, now I wear what colours I feel like at the time.

6. At some point as a child I once said to myself that I might be a changeling. The idea has always seemed like a possibility.

9. One year when we were kids, the supermarket gave away Halloween goodie bags for weeks leading up to Halloween. For a while, every Wednesday was Halloween for us.

10. I studied The Gothic Genre in high school and my mum thought it turned me Goth.

11. Halloween isn't big in Australia, I have never been to a proper Halloween party. For the last few years I missed out on my chances due to things like conflicting schedules. I don't know if I mind that much as I am not really a big party person.

12. I always wanted to be a member of The Addams Family.

13. I hid 666 in these facts. Mua ha ha!

17 comments:

  1. I've never been to a proper Halloween party either, but I enjoy the little "parties" I have all the time with my husband, son and Phoebe, and same goes for our little Halloween "party". :) I prefer the idea of soirees to parties. I'd always rather be in a smaller group than a big crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like a small party with a few awesome friends. During the day too cause I am a real granny that way! :P

      Delete
  2. We have one, well, sort-of proper party (at least most people are dressed up) around here that I know of, but considering that this is Germany, Halloween is mostly forgotten about (or shunned, because imported). I'm still debating with myself wether to go to the party this year or to just have it as a day to spiritually cleanse myself in silence.
    As for the Changeling thing: Do you know the White Wolf RPG "Changeling: The Dreaming"? And if you do, what kith do you identify with most?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never played it although I heard of it and was interested. I have thought about it recently as I have been reading a lot of faery books, I guess I would technically be Solitary fae.

      Delete
    2. I'd be a Nocker. I highly recommend the books (as pdf, getting the hard covers is practically impossible), even if you just read it for fun, as the world is so interestingly built.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I will try and find the pdfs.

      Delete
  3. I like all of these :D
    I can't watch scary movies either, I'll lay in bed afterwards thinking the bad things will come and get me :s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallowe'en isn't big in Belgium where I live either! I was always so disappointed... then I moved to England for university and the stores are already looking amazing with all the decorations... best time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I even made my own Halloween party! Here in Germany, we do have commercial Halloween parties, but the good ones are very crowded. I'm not quite sure about this year though, as I have not yet seen any ads for parties and there is much less Halloween stuff available...

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww you are so lovely! im sorry there's not much of a halloween scene in australia. i hope you can make your own halloween fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am supersitious and believe in the paranormal. I also love a good faerie tale! Luckly for me, where I live, we get tons of trick or treaters.There is a cinema downtown that plays all the old school horror films, which is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might be the first (past) Goth I've ever heard of who isn't into horror movies :)

    We rarely have big themed commercial/nightclub parties in Sweden, but I've been to my fair share of Halloween parties at people's houses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaaaw, this is such a cool post, I loved it! ^^ I might do something similar on my blog if you don't mind. ^^
    Halloween isn't in Hungary either, the so called Halloween parties I attended were more like costume parties...you know, when everyone is a witch, a vampire, a ghost or lately a sugar skull, but the music is basically ordinary party hits and no other traditions are kept...:/
    A friend and I used to organize our own Halloween gatherings in their cellar, which we decorated, we cooked and baked Halloween themed cookies and everyone got their little cauldron to eat from...but they weren't actual parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead, I love reading facts about other people! :)

      Delete
  10. Such fun facts about you! Awesome Halloween spirit dear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing these Halloweeny facts, Laura! I hope you have a fabulous Halloween party with a few awesome friends this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so surprised to read you don't like scary films! I used to think nothing could scare me (I suppose watching too much Buffy makes you think you're a vampire slayer) until I went to this Halloween event at our closest amusement park. Haunted houses, people chasing you with chainsaws, horrifying costumes. It was actually so terrifying that I cried! Some brave person I am :P

    ReplyDelete