Thursday, 21 August 2014

August Monthly Homework Assignment: Inspiring Songs


 
My fave performers are: Nox Arcana, Rasputina, The Romanovs Sopor Aeternus, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Agnes Obel, The Cure, Dead Can Dance, Loreena McKennit, Inkubus Sukkubus, Jill Tracy, Tom Waits, Siouxie and the Banshees and Adrian von Ziegler. I also listen to some opera and classical.

Sometimes I like relaxing music, sometimes I like dark music.

I used to listen to more metal type music when I was younger, like Moonspell and Cradle of Filth, these days I usually like things with a more moody or old fashioned tone.

Some particular favourites:

Siouxsie and the Banshees- Cities in the Dust- pretty sure I heard this at the first real Goth club I went to. Siouxsie definitely inspires me.

Stevie Nicks- Rhiannon- Stevie is another huge inspiration to me, I love her hippie-witch clothes and sense of freedom and magic. I love the movie Gypsy 83.

Jill Tracy- Evil Night Together

Knock Three Times- Black Tape for a Blue Girl 

Rasputina- Transylvanian Concubine. I loved Drusilla in Buffy, like many others I discovered Rasputina when looking up this song.

Rasputina- Gingerbread Coffin


Joy Division- Love Will Tear Us Apart- After I heard this in Donnie Darko- The Director's Cut I went out and got their album. It's not particularly my kind of music though.

Nox Arcana- Shadow of the Raven (Their Poe tribute album). All their stuff is inspiring but this is perfection!

Type O Negative- Love You To Death- I used to be a really big Type O Neg fan. I listen to them much less constantly now but I still love this song. It's from October Rust their most Pagan sounding album.

The Cure- The Lovecats- The first Cure song I really knew. So damn catchy.

The Cure- Charlotte Sometimes

The Cure- Hanging Garden 


Loreena McKennit- The Mummer's Dance- I have probably been inspired by her since I saw the movie of The Mists of Avalon. Maybe discovering the two was unconnected, I can't remember. She is amazing. Great to relax or write to. Her music is also very mystical.

Loreena McKennit- The Mystic's Dream

Hannah Fury- Girls that Glitter- I recently discovered her and I love this song. Perfect for glittery girls like me who have a dark side.

Agnes Obel- Riverside- The first Agnes Obel song I heard. She has been part of my life for quite some time, a constant inspiration.

Adrian von Ziegler- Any of his songs. He has amazing playlists on YouTube, great for relaxing, writing, anything!

Sopor Aeternus- The Strangest Thing to Say- I love Anna Varney Cantodea, I think I mentioned once, years ago how I love that she is so unique and never tries to be anything but herself. I love that her music has a bit of a Renaissance sound to it.

Ibeyi- Come To Your River-I heard this song recently and can't get it out of my head

The Deftones- Change in the house of flies- An old favourite- Creepy awesome.

Dead Can Dance- The Host of Seraphim- Transcendent! I think I discovered this band through watching Gypsy 83.


Picture from the movie Gypsy 83

12 comments:

  1. Haha, 'The Lovecats' were also my first song from The Cure (aside, of course, 'Friday I'm in love'). I madly love 'Rhiannon', and I'm, too, a fan of Sopor Aeternus and Dead Can Dance, their last album rips my soul to pieces. It's nice to read from time to time about others' favourite songs and see if our tastes are similar :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I forgot Friday I'm in Love! Love that! And of course Just Like a Dream!

      Delete
  2. Great music choices!!! I like many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love 'Transylvanian Concubine' and I can't hear it without seeing Drusilla in my mind, swaying to the melody. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do imagine her dancing to it to. I love her a little too much! Pretty sure I would be Dru if I was a vampire. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on her wardrobe, either!

      Delete
  4. I like several songs on this list, but will have to look up the rest - thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I hope you find some new favourites!

      Delete
  5. Oh how on earth had I never heard of the movie Gypsy 83!!!!!! I've just found it on youtube and am so excited to watch it, you know my love for Stevie. I also love Loreena McKennitt, she is a fellow Canadian after all. You introduce me to so many awesome things lovely Laura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I found it last year I was shocked I had never found it til then either! It is so my kind of movie! And the clothes! Jealous! Where is my clothes-sewing cute Goth boy sidekick?

      Delete
  6. Aw, thanks for sharing your music list with us! :) I see some personal favorites amongst yours.

    And thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete