Monday, 16 June 2014

A GEEK?



Lynoire and Winters Moon  did posts on being a geek and I decided to follow suit. Am I a geek? I think so, yet I don't seem to be the kind that is popularised in the media. I am terrible at science, maths and computer games, and, while I love Xmen and Hellsing, I couldn't tell you the names of most comic book or anime characters. But I am pretty sure I am still a geek.

Back when I was in high school, I would have never said that. It was something really uncool. It was the kid with glasses who had no friends and a pocket protector and braces, that terrible stereotype. In school, I used to be uncool because I was really good at class and socially awkward, I never wanted to be a geek. It is only in recent years that it has started to be cool and people have started to wear the term like a badge of honour.

I grew up climbing trees and reading books. Most of my childhood that wasn't spent running around in the forest was spent running around in the forests of Europe in books. I grew up on fairytales, they are pretty much my lifeblood and most of the time no one gets my references.

I have always been socially awkward, I can talk about books and movies and animals and that's about it. I am pretty good on Goth literary knowledge although I have a bad memory for names and music so find it difficult to remember any bands except for The Cure. I am pretty decent at sewing, knitting, and general crafts.

I love Goth culture, although I don't wear black a lot. I love to teaduel with my Steampunk friends. I believe in faeries and the supernatural and I want to live in Hobbiton. The making of The Lord of the Rings series was pretty much one of the best things that ever happened to me. I grew up with the Harry Potter books. It took me a long time to find friends I really have a lot in common with, and we have both similar and different interests. We are all unique and that's really cool!

So yeah, I guess I'm a geek, just not what people might first think of when they usually think of a geek. I don't have the superhero t-shirts, the superhuman maths and science skills, any of that. I am a quiet, kind of private book nerd who occasionally bursts into enthusiastic unstoppable conversation about things. And I'm ok with that. I don't know where I will be in the future, although hopefully I will be writing my book and there will be lots of animals. And hopefully an enchanted forest.

9 comments:

  1. OMG, Laura, I love this, your post is perfect!! You don't have to claim to be a nerd or a geek and wear geeky clothing to be one, your passion for tje things you love is what matters. :)
    Thank you so much for mentioning me, I could not be happier, that I inspired you ladies. Really, it's a honor to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am a quiet, kind of private book nerd who occasionally bursts into enthusiastic unstoppable conversation about things." I'm going to quote Wil Wheaton here: "It's not about what you love, it's about how you love it." And I think you have described that perfectly just there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your whole post is enchanted with fairydust. That's the feeling you get when you read it. :) I like! I wish I come to like reading books too, some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone's quite geeky about something. I'm definitely a geek!
    Some people try to hard to be geeks these days, as it's now considered 'cool'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Laura! I would like to award you the Liebster Award! Your blog is interesting and inspirational! For more information, please look here: http://pourlavictoire.blogspot.com/2014/06/liebster-award.html (: Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These days, "geek" seems to be used to describe anyone who is passionate or knowledgeable about a particular subject... well, a subject besides mainstream fashion or sports perhaps. You can be a diehard sports fan or shop-'til-you-drop fashionista and apparently that's not geeky. ;) I get ridiculously excited about things that I'm interested in, so if that makes me a geek then I'm perfectly happy with that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant words, it feels like todays geeks are those who wears a certaint geeky merch-clothing, but it's so wrong, being a geek is being truly devoted to something one loves to do. I'm also a bookgeek ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It is only in recent years that it has started to be cool and people have started to wear the term like a badge of honour."
    Very true. Even only a few years ago, it was still seen as an uncool thing.
    Your geekiness is very endearing. You care about things for all the right reasons. :)

    I like how there's a lot of scope for what counts as geeky, and it's nice that people today aren't looked down on for liking certain things as much as they used to be. On the other hand, I don't like how stuff like this is becoming a trend. That takes all the fun out of it.

    ReplyDelete