Sunday, 16 March 2014

Rebelling in a Charming Manner


I can't remember if I have talked about this before on my blog or not. Sometimes, "rebellion" is seen as a dirty word, when you talk about rebelling, people assume you are the kind of person who throws flour bombs, swears and yells at random people, doesn't take baths, that sort of thing. Well, actually, I am not quite sure what kind of thing, because I have never done any of that.

I have always basically be a goody two shoes, the rudest thing I have done in public is probably scowling at people in the street when they glared at me for wearing too much black. But neither do I conform. I have never conformed to the normal, possibly because I never really fitted in with the norm. I was always the uncool kid in school with their head in a book who didn't quite know how to interact with the others. I put on a character, and it worked for a while, but it wasn't until I finally got to go to a selective school and be with other 'nerds' that I really fitted in at all. And I am pretty sure most people there still remember me as the odd one too.

So when I say rebelling, I don't mean anything rude or violent. I mean being yourself, and even better, being charming. One of the best ways to do this is to show fine manners in public. Smile and greet people, let the old people get onto the bus before you instead of shoving on, make the small effort it takes to carry someone's bags, or compliment an awesome outfit. It will make them feel good all day.

This is one of the things I love about Steampunk. It is a polite revolution. We admire the fine manners of yesteryear, even though we see the flaws of society back then as well. We can see the best of both worlds. We may look rather odd and get stares (depending on what kind of area you live in), but we smile, and perhaps tip our hat to them.

We enjoy elegant pastimes like picnics, tea parties and tea duels. We like to meet up in places where we can chat, something which does seem to be a bit of a dying pastime. I long to have a house with a proper garden one day where I can have garden parties, and maybe even a ballroom for grand balls. Most of all, Steampunks, by and large (except for the random trolls you get in any group) seem to a very inclusive and friendly group, and a home for all those odd people like me. Rebelling against the lack of charm and manners in modern society in an elegant way.

8 comments:

  1. Rebelling against rudeness-- love it :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Rebelling in a Charming Manner"

    That pretty much sums up why I love 'The Addams Family' TV series from the sixties so much. They were kind, generous and courteous, but they also marched to the beat of their own drum.

    I love your idea of a polite revolution! I get discouraged by all the rudeness and nastiness in this world. I can't remember what I was watching on TV recently, but basically, someone didn't thank someone else who held a door open for them, and I muttered to myself, "a thank you would have been nice." My son then said, "I hold the door open for people all the time, Mum, and most people don't thank me." I simultaneously felt annoyed at all those rude people and proud of my son. I've always taught him that being kind, considerate and polite was so important. I sometimes feel depressed at the world he is growing up in, but all you can do is treat others in the same manner you would like to be treated, and hopefully, some people will learn by example not to rush to judge a book by its cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Addams family, they are a great example of an odd alternative family who are lovely to each other and to others (although they do tend to scare strangers almost to death unintentionally)

      I had a friend tell me that a woman got cross at him for holding the door for her, it's just courtesy, I don't know what is wrong with people sometimes! It's nice that your son is polite enough to do this! I had a teenage boy run to hold a bus for me one day, reminding me that, despite what I sometimes overhear people saying, there really are as many helpful children around as adults, they just seem to get the blame for all the rudeness in the world.

      Delete
  3. Manners cost nothing...some people seem to have forgotten that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A polite revolution; oh, how romantic it sounds! And I agree, Steampunk is an interesting mixture of old and new, traditions and development, manners and ambition. The same can be said about it in terms of fashion; it's so well put - together and elegant, it shows effort, an eye for the details, bu it's not at all a claptrap.

    As for manners...I'm generally neutral, rather cold, distant and reserved, not friendly by a long shot, moreover, in certain situations - when someone is rude to me or disrespects my privacy...etc. - I snap. Beside, conventions and narrow - minded blabbering tires me...But I'm trying to be as polite as possible. It's important to me and I kind of expect it from others - not neccessarily in return, just in general - too...My boyfriend is the same, he gives up his seat, he opens doors for others, he even helps them cary their stuff. He helps me with my coat, he pulls my chair out...you know, all these little things, that make you feel...I wanted to say special, but actually, these things shouldn't be special. They should be normal, common...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's start the polite revolution right now, shall we? Thank you Laura, for this lovely post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, and I second the Insomniac's motion! :-)

    ReplyDelete