Friday, 8 November 2013

Blog Tag from The Countess

Thanks to the lovely Countess for tagging me! Sorry I am sooooooooo late with this! I was meant to do this in July!

Rules:
  • Link back to the person who tagged you.
  • Tag 5 blogs with less than 200 followers.
  • Get them to tag more bloggers and keep this thing going.

5 things you need every day:
  1. Like the countess, I do love some tea! It can be a bit hot in Australian summers, though.
  2. My computer because I need it for writing and wasting time looking at pictures of ethereal maidens in white and black dresses and Victorian inspired decor.
  3. Books. Hardcopies, ebooks, graphic novels... I can't go without books! If I don't have a book on the train to occupy me, I need to either write or sleep!
  4. My partner Jon, who supports me. It is nice to have someone who actually gets real life and bills and stuff, and isn't up in the clouds all the time like I am. Plus, I love him so much!
  5. My friends, who inspire me, and give me joy!

5 books you would recommend:
  1.  The Lives of the Monster Dogs by Kirsten Bakis. I haven't read this one in quite some time, but I have always listed it as my favourite book when asked. I can't remember how old I was when I first read it, but it was pretty influential.
  2. The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. Likewise, hugely influential in my life. I remember I read this in year 8 though.
  3. The Mortal Instruments series and The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare because her writing is both beautiful and devastating, and her characters are the most delightfully sarcastic ever. And I am a huuuuuuge sucker for sarcastic people! I just fall in love with them!
  4. Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of the Baskervilles. If you are only going to read one Holmes book, I advise this, it has some great Gothic undertones, even if it is all solved in Holmesian fashion. The very different modern redo in the TV series Sherlock is great, too!
  5. A classic Gothic novel or novella such as Frankenstein, Carmilla, The Turn of the Screw... or all of the above.
  6. I know it was 5, but I have to say, read everything you can by Ray Bradbury. He is such an inspiration, but I haven't yet managed to get my hands on everything he has written. There was a complete collection for a short time, but it is nearly impossible to find now! Also Coraline, The Graveyard Book and The Sandman by Neil Gaiman!

 5 materialistic wishes for Christmas presents:

  1. Something from Dellamorte & co If I get money for Christmas, I might buy myself something. 
  2. Something from Bloodmilk (probably the crescent or Lily Dale series)
  3. A house of my own to decorate
  4. The complete Hellsing manga so far
  5. Another Victorian dress, perhaps. Or, you know, a million Victorian dresses and a house to put them in!

5 places you wish to visit:
  1. The Lake Country in Britain, also Wales
  2. New Orleans
  3. San Francisco
  4. Salem or Sleepy Hollow
  5. New York
5 Adjectives that describe you:
    1.Mad, mad, Mad as a hatter
    2. Writer
    3. Gothic
    4. Neo-Victorian
    5. Faery
5 things you'd say to people about life: 
  1. Don't let society kill your imagination
  2. Reality isn't that important 
  3. Make the world more like your dreams in every way you can 
  4. Always believe in magic
  5. Read more books!
People tagged:
  1. Teacups Among The Fabric
  2. Madam Mari Mortem
  3. Winters Moon
  4. Craft for Misfits
  5. Written Before Dawn

2 comments:

  1. Haaha, I love your '5 things you say about life', especially number 1, 3 & 4! ♥
    Thanks for the tag ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your five things you couldn't live without sound a lot like mine XD take my tea, my computer and my books away from me, and there will be nothing left of me XDD
    I find your literary suggestions very interesting, I've only seen "Coraline" and "Interview with the Vampire" (which isn't even the same book you suggested) but I'm totally ignorant about that literary genre. I should make up for that, sooner or later :) I might start from the books you mentioned here ;D

    ReplyDelete