Monday, 2 September 2013

Sewing: My first dress from scratch!


Finished 3rd September 2013

I have been adapting clothes and sewing things together for as long as I can remember. I have sewn a few things when I was a kid, and I was so small I could just drape a bit of material or scarf around myself and hand sew it together, but this is the first real wearable dress I have made, following a pattern from scratch. I even learned how to sew buttonholes!

It's not perfect, there are little imperfections, but I love it! It is definitely my style, although if I use the pattern again I might lengthen the hem just a little. You can see from the picture below, though, that it is a lot longer on me than it seems in the pictures, that might be because I am quite short.

It's a pale creamy colour, made of old sheets, and I chose black buttons for the front and the sleeves to contrast.

The pattern is a Vintage Simplicity one,  5846, I don't think you can get it anymore.


15 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations, it's lovely!I love the shape, especially the sleeves. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great turnout for a first try!! It looks so romantic with those lovely full sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. That looks really wonderful and you look very happy to wear it. What was the favorite thing that you learned from the process?

    Is the pattern from the 80's? I love the pseudo-victorian look from the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, I like it. And now I want that pattern. I'd love to have one of the short sleeved versions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Laura! That's a pretty impressive first dress! Nothing like jumping right into the hard stuff, eh? ;o)

    I can tell it's a vintage pattern just by the price. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Cream is very flattering on you, and I love the way the sleeves billow a little with cuffs on the ends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, well done - super impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made that out of *sheets*? That's incredible! That's really a beautiful dress. Also, that colour is very good for you :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, nice work! It's so your style. I would love to have one in black :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks very nice! I like the colours you picked, and the sleeves are really great. (I've liked all forms of puff sleeves since reading Anne of Green Gables.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That just totally amazing! very very nice job :O

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done! It looks fantastic! You've kind of taken a "retro" pattern and made it more vintage/Victorian looking. :)

    ReplyDelete