Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Trimmed Sunhat

 Trimmed 7th June

I had this plain white hat for ages, and could never think of how to make it look good. I was on the verge of throwing it out. Then I had an idea, I wrapped a long gauzy white scarf around it, wove in a piece of grey tulle from an old skirt, added a brown fabric scrap with unusual pieces attached to it and a couple of pin on fake flowers!

I sewed the scarf and fabric scrap onto the hat. The flowers are pinned on so they can be moved to different places, or colours switched to match different outfits.








The only problem was, the stitches showed through the brim! Whoops! I didn't think of that! I don't think they are too obvious, though. I have thought of sewing some lace over the inside of the brim, but I am not sure.

I might also add a claw clip to it to keep it on my hair.

11 comments:

  1. Lace on the underside of the brim might be neat, but I doubt anyone will see the stitches when you're wearing the hat.

    Alternatively, you could tack things down with a craft-glue gun and dispense with the sewing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A glue gun is a good idea! I will have to have a go with one sometime and see if I can use it without burning myself! :P I am sure there are many great crafty uses!

      Delete
  2. I dont think someone will notice the stitches, they must very short and stare very much in that case xD

    I like your styling with the hat :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! A large proportion of the population is taller than me, so I suppose they would find it difficult to notice! Ha ha.

      Delete
  3. I really like it :)
    I don't think anybody would notice the stitches unless you point them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out nicely!

    If you use invisible thread, the stitches will show less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did a lovely job, don't worry about the stitches. I think everyone is right, they are hardly noticeable anyway! You look great in this hat too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Currently I am also working on a plain (black) hat that I bought a few days ago. The skull brooch from Dark Market seems to fit perfectly :}

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really suits you! And I wouldn't worry about the stitches, either.

    I thought of you the other day when I was loading up on books at Amazon for my summer reading. I bought one called Kraken by China Mieville. It seems like it might be something you'd enjoy. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, this is so lovely! I love sunhats, and they look very nice on you.

    ReplyDelete