Saturday, 22 June 2013

McCalls M6770 Ruffle Bustle/ Capelet

 McCalls M6770 is from the new McCalls Summer collection and not yet available in some countries. I ordered it off their website, you can probably also find it on eBay and Etsy.

I made this on the 13th of June. I am still not sure what I am going to do with the fastenings. At the moment the ties can be knotted at the front, as it said to do with ribbons in the instructions. I am thinking of using snaps or buttons to make it into a solid waistband that can be opened at the front.

If you are wondering why everything I make seems to be made of violet material, it's because it's my mock up material, I got a roll that must have more than 20m on it at an op shop for $15. 

Problems and adaptations-

* The waistband didn't seem long enough to actually reach all the way around, it didn't meet the ends of the bustle itself. It may have been that I actually cut it too short, but before you cut it out of your material, make sure it is at least as long as the waist on the rest of the garment. I made mine longer so it could serve as ties.

* The lines where the long pattern pieces for each layer join together at the back do show a bit, especially with patterned material, so ideally you might want to join all the pattern pieces for each layer together and cut them on one big piece, although this may waste more material.

* The bustle really doesn't meet at the front. I cut my pattern size, the ruffles do not meet at the front (although in the picture on the cover, if you look closely, they do not meet). So if you want them to meet in the middle I would recommend adding around 10cm to the length of all pattern pieces. That's how much gap I had at the front anyway, it will differ for different people, I suppose.

* I used quite thin material and still got really big ruffles, which was good. With all the hemming and sewing layers and ruched material, I wouldn't recommend this for thick material. I think it might bunch up unpleasantly.

Isambard Steamparakeet helping with the patterns.





A few different views of the finished bustle. I might later make one in different material to match my outfits. This one is made of my mock up material and hasn't be pre-shrunk, but I don't expect you would normally wash an outside clothes bustle anyway.




As I said before, there is a big gap at the front.



The pictures from the envelope.


3 comments:

  1. It's a shame about the problems you had with it, but it looks lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still looks cute, even if it doesn't fit quite as the envelope indicates it should. Are you going to make the rest of the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That girl on the pattern is tiny, us real world folk will have to factor in much more fabic, probably in the region of 3 times your actual waist measurement, as a rough guesstimate. I have to make one of these, just have to rustle up the enthusiasm from somewhere....

    ReplyDelete