Saturday, 9 February 2013

Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories


Edited by Kelly Link and Gavin J Grant



This was a fantastic anthology. There are a lot of anthologies out there that are quite patchy, some good, some bad, but this one really maintained a great standard. Many of my favourite modern authors such as Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, Kelly Link, Elizabeth Knox and Libba Bray were in there, and their stories were fantastic as usual. I also enjoyed the stories but authors whose work I had read less of, or not read at all, and look forward to reading more of their work in the future. There was a great mix of stories, from Victorian, modern day, and post apocalyptic to even Steampunk Rome. All of the stories had interesting and inspiring new ideas, and opened up the genre more, instead of just following conventions (if Steampunk could really be said to have conventions).

This book definitely gets my six stars out of five rating for a book that goes far beyond what was expected. A truly delightful read!

1 comment:

  1. Goodness but that is a really encouraging review.

    Especially as I just came away from a conversation in which someone (another writer) told me that he thought Steampunk was beginning to look 'a little shop-worn.' I know what he means - and you hint at something similar in your review here - but I really don't agree. I think that Steampunk is still just beginning to get going.

    This review seems to confirm that conviction. And I know they say that you can't judge a book by its cover but...boy, what a cover! I love it.

    I am going to buy this now - I sincerely hope that I can get a copy with that cover, too.

    Thanks so much for this. Keep the steam rolling!

    ReplyDelete