Thursday, 7 February 2013

Collectors Weekly: Uncovering The Clues in Frida Kahlo's Private Wardrobe

I have always found Frida Kahlo very inspiring. I also loved the traditional Mexican way in which she dressed. It was very exciting to discover there is now an exhibition about why she dressed that way, and the way her clothes inspired the fashion world. I think a Frida Kahlo outfit is definitely one of the things I want to work on in the future.

The idea that these clothes were important to her, not just as a part of her heritage, but to cover her broken body is fascinating, and definitely resounds with my idea of different clothes serving different purposes to different women. As I mentioned in a post a while ago, I find skirts much more freeing than pants because, for me at least, they are much more comfortable. A couple of commenters agreed with me. Tziporah Salamon (see my last blog post) likes to wear more demure, elegant clothes, and finds herself in these beautfiul eccentric items. I think she is right, that we need to stand back and look at clothes from a woman's point of view again, of being elegant and expressing who we are. It seems to be all about being sexy these days. Let's bring back elegant but comfortable women's clothes!

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/uncovering-clues-in-frida-kahlos-private-wardrobe/

3 comments:

  1. What an absolutely incredible story. It reminds me that if we all try, we can DO plenty. Amazing life. And you know she suffered. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing article. She must have been a very strong woman. I love her vibrant hairstyles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much love for you right now! :D Frida Kahlo was one amazing woman and is a perfect role model for anybody. :)

    "It seems to be all about being sexy these days. Let's bring back elegant but comfortable women's clothes!" SOOO right! :D

    ReplyDelete