Wednesday, 9 January 2013

The Soapboxing Geek: 10 Reasons Why The Addams Family is Awesome(ly Feminist)

I always loved The Addams family movies. The dark humour appealed to me, and I used to dream of being a member of the family. I loved their charming oddness and the fact that, despite not being a classic picture postcard family, they all got along and loved and supported one another. It was a great example of how being odd can be awesome. When I read this article, I was really excited! It's great to see the movies support feminist values.

http://soapboxinggeek.tumblr.com/post/33196510118/10-reasons-why-the-addams-family-is-awesome-ly


6 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Addams Family- this article is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still dream of being a member of their family! To live in that house alone would be beyond amazing!
    P.S. Have you ever been Wednesday for Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never dressed up as her for Halloween, but I dressed up in February for uni once. The post is here http://rosesandvellum.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/wednesday-addams.html

      Unfortunately Halloween isn't bit in Australia, although I think there are some clubs and things these days. When I was a kid one year the shops gave out Halloween goodie bags for probably the whole month leading up to Halloween, so we got one every Wednesday, which was shopping day. So for a while, every Wednesday was Halloween.

      Delete
  3. Omg that is all so true! Ten more reasons to love the Addams Family - being an alternative and a feminist, I can't not appreciate all the effort put into making "weirdness" acceptable and funny, and the great role given to the women in the show.
    Thank you so much for sharing this article, it was incredibly interesting, and it's nice to see girl-friendly shows once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article! I love those movies so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this article, I never thought of the show and the movies as feminist, it makes me love them even more!

    ReplyDelete