Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Heart's Blood



by Gail Dayton

This gets about a 4.9, rounded up to a 5. I loved the characters, the setting, the intuitive understanding she had of the way they dressed and human nature. I was just a little unsure if I liked the final battle, and a little disappointed that it ended up in the air with no future book date for the third novel. I want to know what happens next!

Despite what others have said, I think this works well if you haven't read the original, although I have now read that one as well. It's not so punky, not too much technology, but it is a steamy romance, and the descriptions of the magic and guilds is fascinating. I loved the Victorian setting, and the author really understood aspects of Victorian life such as getting through doors in hoop skirts, that made it feel more real.

The romance was very enjoyable, Grey Carteret was just my type. This book works well as a steampunk-ish novel, a story about magic, and as a romance, and for that, it deserves real credit! I can't wait to see what will happen when the third one comes out! I hope it will have more about Elinor, who is a fascinating character, and a strong independent woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment