Thursday, 8 November 2012

The House of Eliott

I've fallen in love with the 1990s TV series The House of Eliott, after seeing it mentioned in this post on The Vintage Dancer. Set in the early 1920s, it is the story of sisters Beatrice and Evangeline Eliott, who, after their fathers death, find themselves almost destitute, and start their own fashion business. I absolutely adore Bea, and wish she was my own sister. I also love Evangeline and Jack. Yesterday, I watched seven episodes in a row!

I've also fallen in love with some of the early 1920s styles. I still don't like the looser, drop waisted dresses on myself, as I don't think they flatter my shape at all, but there are some other really lovely gowns, coats, blouses. I adore the white lacy sundresses, I can't get enough of that sort of thing. I am longing for some of the items in this to add to my wardrobe. I love all the black and white and blue in the dresses, and I'm thinking of building a wardrobe in these colours. I already have a lot of black and white, anyway.

The hats are wonderful, too! I have decided you can't have a proper wardrobe without some nice hats.

Here is a top of Bea's that I particularly love in episode 8:


I also really love her aunt's black beaded cocktail dress.

I really think I will have to extend my future wardrobe into the 1920s. At the moment, I was mostly sitting somewhere around the Edwardian Era and the Victorian 1877-1822 natural form era.

I still like long elegant dresses, so the more demure 1920s fashions should still echo this. I would love a long, delicately beaded evening gown too, in the future. And it looks like there will be a lot of pale blues in my wardrobe in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I've not heard of that one, it sounds interesting though, I will have to look it up :)

    ReplyDelete