Sunday, 4 November 2012

Prophecy of The Sisters



Novel by Michelle Zink (Prophecy of the Sisters #1)

Opinions seem rather divided on this book, but for me, it was a winner. It had a beautiful setting, and a brooding gothic sensibility, which I adored. I loved the attention to detail, the house and grounds, the mentions of their nightdresses, Lia's love of literature. I liked all of the girls, and Lia's boyfriend. (How could I not love a boy who loves books?!)

The mythology in the story was good. I enjoyed the other worlds, and I even liked the angel and demon thing, which I am not a big fan of, but I thought was a done in quite a fresh way. The story concentrated a lot on Lia dealing with her dark destiny, and trying to learn to use her powers, which I really enjoyed. Some people seem to think the story is slow, but I think it allows for us to really see her struggle, and to create some good characterisations, which allow us to really get to know Lia.

Lia did frustrate me a bit, with the way she constantly pushed her boyfriend away, and I wished she wouldn't do that, because it seemed so obvious that when you push someone away, you risk losing them, and he was the best thing she had.

I also enjoyed learning about her aunt and mother, and their place in the prophecy.

This book was a beautiful, moody vision, and I greatly enjoyed it!

4 comments:

  1. I think I am going to download this book. I am looking for a good YA to read. Any other suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think of any offhand, I will have to look at my reading list and see. :)

      Delete
  2. Great review! Just so you know, Laura, I'm trying desperately to follow your blog, but Wordpress' Java thingy is denying me access to most of the sections on there. I'm also notification-less. I'll try to follow you asap. In the meantime, I'll keep checking back for your reviews :D

    Craig

    ReplyDelete