Saturday, 10 November 2012

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children



Novel by Ransom Riggs

This is a brilliant and unique story that left me enchanted. Based around a collection of real life strange postcards, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children tells a peculiar tale that you won't forget.

When he was a child, Jacob was frightened and delighted by his grandfather's tales of the orphanage where he lived in his youth, and the children who lived there with him, who all had their own strange and wonderful powers. When he grows older, he stops believing, until a tragic event leads him to question all he has ever believed about his world. Now he must find the home, and the peculiar children for himself.

The children are fascinating, and I loved them all. I can't wait to learn more about them in the sequel! I loved Miss Peregrine too. I would like to know more about her. I would also love to dress up as her one day!

I liked the juxtaposition of the character's life in America with that of the remote island in Wales. The mythologies of the children and the ymbrenes were well thought out and very interesting.

The language used in this book was great, very engrossingly descriptive, never overly so. The plot was well-paced, as were the revelations. I absolutely adored the use of the real odd historical photographs. I love the idea of basing the story around them! It's fascinating to look at old pictures and wonder at the story behind them, and I love the idea of creating your own one.

All in all, this was a unique and wonderful experience, and I cannot wait for the next one! I suppose it might be a while, as Ransom Riggs will have to find some more photographs for the second one, and I await it with bated breath and great anticipation!

4 comments:

  1. I just finished this a couple of weeks ago ... definitely not what I was expecting, but very enjoyable! My 19-year old daughter really liked it as well. Glad to hear there's going to be a sequel. I must have missed reading that part! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it at a B&N a month or so ago and was totally engrossed; I showed it to my brother, and HE loved it too; now we are pooling funds to buy it! I've only read the first few chapters, but I think the grandfather's description of an old bird smoking a pipe and its relation to reality really has set the scene for unnoticed clues in his other stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you got me so curious about this book. I will try to get it somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this book. It's on my Keeper Shelf. Am eager to read the next book. Great post.

    ReplyDelete