Tuesday, 20 November 2012

Girls and boys come out to play, the moon doth shine as bright as day...

Outfit Wednesday 14th November or therabouts


My usual cameo, blue dress from op shop. Click on larger image to see details. It has a lovely yoke detail which doesn't come out well in the photo. I liked it because it reminded me of a little Victorian girl's dress.

Title: An old nursery rhyme I remember from my childhood. Apparently it has existed since at least 1708 and may allude to a time when children had to work during the day. 



"Girls and boys, are come out to play,
The moon doth shine as bright as day;
Leave your supper, and leave your sleep,
And come with your playfellows into the street.
Come with a whoop, come with a call,
Come with a good will or not at all.
Up the ladder and down the wall,
A halfpenny roll will serve us all.
You find milk, and I'll find flour,
And we'll have a pudding in half an hour"

3 comments:

  1. Very cute. Got petticoats?

    And yes, I know the rhyme. Even know the tune. Can I have that pudding now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need petticoats! I did find a skirt that might make a good one.

      I think I know the tune too. Or at least, I know a tune for it, I'm not sure if it's the original.

      Midnight pudding, the only way to go!

      Delete
  2. You look beautiful in that colour of blue - very Victorian! Cute nursery rhyme - never heard it before ... :o)

    ReplyDelete