Saturday, 22 September 2012

Costumes, Wigs, Méliès, Cloud Atlas...

As I was saying in the previous post, this page  http://www.costumersguide.com/toc.shtml is a really wonderful source of movie costume images. I almost wish I hadn't found it, as I am having trouble tearing myself away from it to get any work done.


Through a link on that page, I found this wonderful tutorial of how to make a 1770s pouf wig.

It's fairly similar to how you do the hairstyle when you're trying to do it on yourself. It has more volume though, and it looks amazing! If you are into historical fashions, you should check it out!


Also while I was watching Rage (Australian version of MTV :P) last night, I happened to see this video by the Smashing Pumpkins. Made back in 2006,  (a year before the publication of the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret, and long before the movie), this music video is a tribute to the films of Georges Méliès. Well worth watching!


I'm also reading Cloud Atlas at the moment, which is really amazing. I will post a review when I am finished, although I'm not sure how much I can say without giving it away, as the mystery of it is part of what makes it so wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. I actually dreamt about Cloud Atlas last night! Earlier this year my brother recommended it to me. Neither of knew there was a movie in the works. I am going to reread it before seeing the movie again - it is SO rich and filled with such detail, that I want that firmly in my mind. I know the film will be different, but that's part of the charm of it all I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, if you're having trouble dragging yourself away to get any work done, I'm not even going to take a quick peek. Really. I'm absolutely not.

    ReplyDelete