Monday, 9 July 2012

Dangerous Women: La Maupin


I've always been fascinated by women who broke through the strictures of their societies to live their own lives. I love stories of wild women like Anne Bonny, Joan of Arc, Hatsepshut and Florence Nightingale, just to name a few of the amazing women in history.

I found out about this particular woman through a friend. La Maupin had the kind of adventures you read about men having, she was a swashbuckling adventurer and seducer as well as a famous opera singer. She sounds a lot like a character I once created, and I am surprised I never even heard of her when creating this character, who was inspired by male characters such as Casanova and D'Artagnan while being a female. This has definitely inspired me to write her a full story one day, although I have quite a few things I need to finish first.

There are a few sources about her on the internet. I had a quick look and this one seems the most reliable.

http://www.eldacur.com/~brons/Maupin/LaMaupin.html

No comments:

Post a Comment