Tuesday, 26 June 2012

The Wicked Wicked Ladies in the Haunted House


by Mary Chase
(Originally published as The Wicked Pigeon Ladies in the Garden)

Apparently this book was originally published in 1968, but it doesn't feel dated. It is meant for pre-teen readers, so it's a bit simpler than what I usually read, but I was still able to enjoy it. I liked the setting and mood, and the take on the bird women idea, which is always fascinating to me. For adults, some of the descriptions of things in the 'olden days' might be a little frustrating, but I think a lot of kids would probably need the explanations. The main character isn't very likeable, but learns and lesson and I found the end heartwarming. It's a good idea and I enjoyed it. It's short, I read it in one sitting, which means it's probably a good length for younger readers, so they don't get bored.

If I could have made one change, it would be to have had this illustrated by Edward Gorey, I think that his style would have really suited the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment