Tuesday, 26 June 2012

The Umbrella Academy Volume 1: Apocalypse Suite


Graphic Novel by Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba

Don't be put off by the fact that this is written by a popular musician, this is a graphic novel well worth reading!

I enjoyed the dark humour, absurd plotlines and vivid, if sometimes a little confusing artwork. The main thing I would have liked is a little more backstory for the characters, and perhaps being a little more clear on their powers, as it took me the entire story, up until the short prequel comic to realise what The Rumor's power actually was and I'm still not sure on what The Kraken's talent is.

I liked the inevitability of disaster in the plot due to the personal mistakes made by the characters, and the idea of the cost of bringing the children up to save the world, but not giving them what they needed emotionally, making them into tools. 

Recommended for those who enjoyed The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the graphic novels, not the movies).

2 comments:

  1. Good analysis. I really like this comic. When I found out, months later, that it was written by the singer of my chemical romance, I couldn't believe it. I didn't care for his music, so I didn't know his name. I still don't care for his musical projects, but if he ever decides to write a 3rd volume of Umbrella Academy, I'll be sure to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't listen to his music either but I'd heard of the comic and wanted to give it a go and I was glad I did. I really wish there would be a third, I thought it was left a bit up in the air. I like how someone whose music you are not really that into can blow you away with a comic book.

      Delete