Sunday, 3 June 2012

Classics and Those Who Just Don't Get It!

Tonight, someone on Facebook referred to Wuthering Heights as "uber crap" and in the same sentence as Twilight no less! It made me so mad I nearly cried, and I am just sitting here seething! Maybe it's not the greatest love story of all time, it's all about revenge, it's twisted, but that's what's so great about it!

I want to know- when did we stop respecting classics???

I have seen so many reviews for classic books on Goodreads where they have been given really low ratings, people have complained that they are verbose, melodramatic, boring! I am so sick of this trend towards ignorance! Okay, language back then wasn't as pared down as it is now, but that's a good thing!  Do we want to have a world like in Orwell's 1984, where we are constantly shrinking down the dictionary?! Well, I guess some people do!

And as for melodrama, I've read some of the YA crap that gets churned out nowadays, and it's terribly melodramatic, and not even for a good reason! Life and death problems abandoned for problems like boyfriends and going to the prom!

I could go on forever about all the ignorant comments I have heard people make about classic books, books that have stood the test of time. I really hope that some of the modern crap people read these days don't become the new classics in a less and less literate society!!!

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! The classics are so undervalued in today's culture. I recently took a British literature class, and was unpleasantly surprised by how few of my classmates had read Frankenstein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last sentence inspires a horrifying thought: A future world where these teenage supernatural melodramas are the new Divine Comedy, Crime and Punishment, Frankenstein...
    It really is unsettling how history's most valued cultural treasures are disrespected by the newer generations. And I suppose that the fact that they sell less and less will only lead people who work in the industry to put them aside too. Shame.

    ReplyDelete