Friday, 18 May 2012

Incubi and Succubi


Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri

I watched Season 1 of Lost Girl recently, which is a really fun and engaging urban fantasy about fae. In it, creatures like werewolves, sirens, furies and succubi are also fae. I'm dying to see Season 2, but I haven't got hold of it yet. 

Incubi and Succubi (plural of Incubus and Succubus) are always interesting. Generally, they are seen as seducers that feed on sexual energy, but it's always interesting to see different readings. In Beautiful Creatures (The Caster Chronicles #1 by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl), Macon Ravenwood (and how cool is that name!) feeds on dreams. 

Anyway, I chose this video because I noticed the stealing hearts bit was quite a lot like Bo feeding on her victims/ lovers in Lost Girl. The whole sort of spirit sucking through the mouth thing. 

Also the aesthetics are just beautiful. The black and white, the mist/fog, the gorgeous dresses. I think I've said before, I have an unhealthy addiction to tulle!

Interestingly enough, Christina Perri's last name is kind of a type of faerie or daemon. A Peri (with a single R, but still...) is a kind of faerie like creature that is part daemon.They seem pretty interesting, too. Maybe I'll write a story about them someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment