Monday, 30 April 2012

The Monster's Muse



Novel by Bradford Tatum

A wonderful mix of horror and reality, The Monster's Muse is a darkly engrossing novel about eternal child Maddy Ulm, the secret behind Hollywood's greatest monster movies.

From her childhood in the deeps of Bavaria, to modelling for Egon Schiele, to her death, resurrection and movie careers in Germany and Hollywood, this book had me hooked. If it hadn't been a digital file on my computer, I probably wouldn't have been able to put it down.

This is a novel for true lovers of Gothic and horror, with wide ranging references to artists, horror novels and film luminaries,and amazingly vivid language and scenes. I was reading this as a digital kindle online (as I don't have a reader)and I kept highlighting phrases and shivering. I loved the dance of death, the the Frankenstein like Mumble. I loved Maddy. I loved the fact that the story had me questioning whether it was true or not, despite the impossibility of some of the events.

The book showed a true love of cinema and cinema history. Having recently studied silent films in my film studies class, it was fascinating to read about it. The description of the first sound film was wonderful!

So far this is my favourite of all the books I have read this year! I wish I could describe it better, but all I can say is that you must read it for yourself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment