Monday, 16 January 2012

Museum of Thieves


(The Keepers #1)
Children's novel by Lian Tanner

First of all, let me say that while this is a children's novel, I think it is definitely something older people can enjoy. I really think that good books can be read by all ages. And of course, adults will find themselves laughing with chagrin at the overprotective parents, who, after all, just want their children to be safe.

In the city of Jewel,  children are chained to their parents or to 'blessed guardians' appointed by the city until the age of sixteen. This year, the age has been lowered to twelve, and Goldie Roth cannot wait to be out of the clutches of bullying Guardian Hope. When the separation is cancelled she does the unthinkable and runs away. On the run from the guardians, who will lock her away in 'Care', she finds herself in the museum of Dunt, a strange, wonderful and dangerous place...

I loved this book wholeheartedly. I loved the idea of the overprotective parents coddling their children to the point that they were actually endangered by their lack of life experience, and did not know how to look out for themselves. I loved exploring the rooms of the museum with Goldie, and all their strange, whimsical and dangerous secrets. There were great characters, too, but I will leave them for you to discover.

I came upon this book by random on a literature website, and liked the idea, so decided to borrow it from the library. It has more than lived up to my expectations. It was a fun adventure, and there were definitely times I was holding my breath, worried for Goldie, and urging her on. Goldie is amazing, especially in such an overprotective place, she is still braver and more resourceful than most adults, let alone other twelve year olds. She is a very inspiring character.

Now I just have to hope the library has book two...

No comments:

Post a Comment