Sunday, 22 January 2012

Electric Broughams






When I started reading The Lost World (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) the other day, I noticed mention of a conveyance called Electric Broughams. Interested, I googled it. I discovered that electric broughams were an early motor car around the 1900s. Built to look like a carriage (brougham was originally a name for a carriage), only without a horse, they had three seats.

In the Detroit Electric Brougham, the driver sat in the back next to one passenger, and the other passenger sat facing them at the front. I managed to find the most information on this. I also found pictures of others, such as the Dutch Hedag Electric Brougham, which seems to have had an open seat for the driver out the front, as on a traditional carriage. I'm sure that this would have been unpleasant during a rain storm.

I was also delighted when watching Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows a few days later to see Sherlock and Watson driving in one of these.

Detroit Electric Brougham on Wikipedia

Hedag Electric Brougham on Wikipedia


Detroit Electric Brougham


Hedag Electric Brougham


2 comments:

  1. I love this! It looks like a carriage, that is so cool, when i learn to drive i want one of these :D
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a car person by I LOOOOVE older cars! This s so cool! I'm constantly looking up things as I read as well, especially words because I can always guess what they mean, but then I end up kind of misusing them...

    ReplyDelete