Thursday, 26 January 2012

Clockwork or All Wound Up


by Philip Pullman

Clockwork is a fairly short story by Philip Pullman. It is a scary tale for younger readers. I enjoyed it and there were some moments that made me shiver, however it was really a little young for me, I much prefer his more complex and painstakingly created worlds such as in His Dark Materials series. I think this would be an enjoyable tale for younger readers, and the short length and large print makes for easy reading. It is a clever story, and there are tongue in cheek asides that made me laugh, like the comments about artistic temperament, inspiration, and about how if you want to get things cheap it pays to be rich. 

A short excerpt from The Clockwork Moth's 2010 Shadowplay of the book:


No comments:

Post a Comment