Saturday, 17 December 2011

Fables, Once Upon a Time and Libraries

(Issue 2 cover)

I finally managed to get hold of the Fables series. If you've been wondering where I've been for the last week or so that's where. Lying in bed ploughing happily through piles of graphic novels. After wanting to read them for so long. I was starting to think I would have to buy them, and I really don't have the money, and then, lo and behold! They turned up in my local library! Yesss!

I would like to say, I love this new online library system! The online catalogue now lets me just go online and search up any books I want to read and then ask for them to be sent across to my local library! Yes, I know this is probably not particularly new to anyone, but I had to rave about it, because it allowed me to gather up the Fables comics from all the various libraries they were floating around in and get them all here to me! And I only had to leave the house to pick them all up! This is one of the things I love about my library and makes me excited to be a future librarian!

But enough about that. I wanted to talk about Fables.

Fables is a multiple award winning comic book series written by Bill Willingham, and beautifully illustrated by extremely talented comic book artists. It tells the stories of modern fairytale characters forced to leave their world and live in modern day New York, where they have to hide their true identities from the mundies (that's us- the people of the mundane world). There are really interesting character interpretations: For instance, the sheriff of the town is the Big Bad Wolf, now in human form and no longer eating pigs and grannies.

I liked how characters that are kind of recurring types in stories were cleverly woven into the same character: for instance, Prince Charming married and divorced Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella.

It is obvious at the moment that fairytales have recently become quite popular in movies are TV shows. We have Once Upon A Time, Grimm, the Red Riding Hood movie, the upcoming Snow White and Jack The Giant Killer movies. And of course, many books, where fairytales inspire the storyline or are retold with a new twist. Fairytales are often some of the earliest tales we are told and seem to form a part of our collective subconcious, and retellings have always been popular, but it seems that the interest has reached an all time high.

There have been a couple of really interesting articles related to the similarities between Fables and Once Upon a Time which are very interesting. Here are the links. I found them on the SurLaLune Fairytales Blog, which you should also check out.

Just for clarification, Fables predates Once Upon a Time by quite a stretch.

There may be some spoilers:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35737
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2011/12/16/kitsis-horowitz-talk-willingham-once-upon-a-time/

I'd love to hear what you think if anyone has had access to both series. If you haven't I recommend them both! I enjoy them both and I really think they are different enough to be able to enjoy both and not feel guilty about it.

I've always been a big fairytale fan, in fact, I did my Personal Interest Project in Year 12 on the modern 'cleaning up' of fairytales. I should really write an article about that sometime, although I have no idea where my research went.

1 comment:

  1. To be honest I`v never heard of this before, but I so want to read it now! And I love the fact that libraries are online now - saves so much time and hassle.

    >'.'<

    ReplyDelete