Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Once Upon A Time


As you might know, I adore fairytales and legends, and I love retellings. I just watched the second episode of new TV series Once Upon A Time, and I must say, I am truly enchanted. While the concept of fairytale characters stuck in our world is not entirely new (think Fables), I think what they have done with it feels really fresh and new, and there is so much scope to explore! I am so excited to see where they take it! I also find the back story interesting, with flashbacks to the fairytale world that reveal some of the secrets. I am fascinated to find out why the evil queen really hates Snow White so much, as there are hints of another secret...

Once Upon A Time is set in our world, where the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming has grown up an orphan, certain that her parents abandoned her, knowing nothing about the curse that destroyed everyone's happiness, or the real truth of her birth. Alone, and seemingly friendless, she is visited on her 28th birthday by the child she gave up for adoption, now about ten years old. He takes her back to his hometown of Storybrooke where everyone is characters from fairytales, trapped by the evil queen's curse, while his adoptive mother is the evil queen herself.

It is interesting that pretty much no time seems to have passed for the fairytale characters, who are unable to remember their pasts, and the real world version of Snow White is about the same age as her daughter, although, of course, she doesn't realise it is her daughter.

If they can keep up the mystery, the interesting twists, and manage to shy away from the melodrama that many good series degenerate into, this could fast become one of my favourite series.

And needless to say I will probably be trying to put together costumes based on the evil queen's fairytale outfits, and those of a couple of other characters.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for your words, and no it doesn`t sound strange that your dog still watches over you - it means you understand.
    I love how you write, keep it up please >'.'<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that Ginnifer Goodwin? Hmm this looks like something worth checking out after I finish season 1-3 of Merlin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh I really like fairy tales.. this one sounds particularly nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful picture!

    http://thestyleattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete