Wednesday, 16 November 2011

The Night Circus



Novel by Erin Morgenstern. A Must Read!

I just finished reading The Night Circus last night (Wednesday), after getting it from the library on Tuesday. I was totally hooked from beginning 'til end. I have not been so entranced by a book in years, probably since Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Travellers's wife.

Even from what I had already heard and read, this book managed to surpass my expectations. The story is wonderful, with magic and forbidden romance, and the use of two different narratives running parallel was very well done. Of the two narratives, one starts several years later than the first, leaving us wondering what has happened in the meantime, but of course, all is eventually revealed. I found this a fresh and interesting way to write the story.

The prose is lush and beautiful. The descriptions of the circus are wonderful, keeping you intrigued. When I read books, I often find myself disappointed in the descriptions, feeling that the writer has built a place up to be something more than it is. It's hard to explain, but say an author describes a place as truly divine or magical and then their prose fails to really evoke this, it is hard not to feel cheated. but Erin Morgenstern's imagination is truly breathtaking, the circus feels a perfect evocative whole, none of the elements jar or seem misplaced. It is an amazing whole, the kind of magical circus I always dreamed to visiting, but that has never existed in real life.

This book is an amazing flight of fantasy, and has already made it's way into my heart and list of favourite books! A must read!

5 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to go check out this book and read it next time I see it!x

    www.loretta-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same blogger theme, cooool beans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review has made me really want to read this! I've been told by so many that The Time Traveller's wife is an amazing read, but for some reason I've never read it. Both will be going on my Christmas list now!
    www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot for your sweet comment on my blog
    I hope you will follow, i would really appreciate it :]
    x
    www.ofthefoxandthedeer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a cool book! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete