Friday, 23 September 2011

The Simple Art of Compliments

When we see an outfit we like in a magazine, we might buy the magazine, or tear out the page. We save up pictures of models and celebrities and normal people who have beautiful, effortless style. But ask yourself, how often do you compliment someone in normal life? When you see a woman with a coat that you are absolutely drooling over, do you just stare at her until she is out of sight, or do you comment, tell her she looks fabulous? I know which one I like to do.

The thing about complimenting people, is it makes them feel great. I know on days when I haven't been feeling the greatest, when someone tells me they like my dress, it perks me right up. And it makes them happy, too, to see that they've made me happy. It's a reciprocal thing, everyone wins.

In a society where advertising tries to make us feel insecure about our bodies, and tells us we need to buy products to make ourselves perfect, it is nice to know that people do value your style, that you're not just a faceless nobody in the crowd. I love the way so many people react when I compliment them. You can see them become energised, filled with happiness and self love. And in a world where self love really is too rare, this is a beautiful thing.

So when you walk down the street today, and you see a girl in a cool hat, or a guy in a great pair of shoes, that you know you will be desperately searching the internet for as soon as you get home, take the minute to stop and give them a compliment. You may just make someone's day!

4 comments:

  1. Agree... Your blog is everyday more and more awesome and I'm loving it more and more... I saw all of your comments on my blog and I have to ask '' Do you think I'm funny?'' because I can see you do hahaha, I'm glad you think that, I'm a teen, I live my life like that and I want my blog to scream it HAHHA, well, hope you still loving it...
    I'll keep in touch here, your blog ROCKS(believe me, I've said it out loud now, in my living room, acting like a psycho)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw thanks! i'm not sure if if i post this it works as a reply or not, but thanks so much for all the comliments. yes, you are funny and entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO TRUE. I always make a point to compliment people when I like something because it makes them happy, and when I make other people happy, that makes me happy. Side effects may include improving the world's overall style by positive reenforcement :)Also, I know that a lot of people in general respect me and my style, and I've had a lot of people be like, "When Erica compliments you, you KNOW." and that makes BOTH of us feel good! You know?
    On the other hand, it's really annoying when you compliment someone, say, in passing on the street and they totally ignore you. I know sometimes it's not their fault they didn't notice, but it's still annoying; and I also feel bad if I'm in conversation with someone and I put it on my mental to-do list to compliment them when the moment comes, and then I forget! I feel awful later, because of a missed opportunity to hand out a compliment! :)
    Sorry that was kind of a REALLY long comment...
    <3Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I love the bit about 'improving the world's overall style by positive reinforcement.'

    and long comments are great! they make me feel important. ;)

    ReplyDelete