Friday, 23 September 2011

Freaks and Geeks


Freaks and Geeks was a tv series in 1999- 2000, starring, Linda Cardellini, James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segal and John Francis Daley (from Bones). What was so special about this series was probably the same reason it was axed after only 18 episodes. Freaks and Geeks is a school drama, but instead of having far out plotlines like the usual soapie offerings, it has real heart. It focuses on the outcasts, the freaks and geeks. Lindsay Weir is an A-student who, after her grandmother's death, starts questioning life, and hanging out with the 'burnouts' or 'freaks'. Her younger brother, Sam, is a geek, small and uncool, and has to deal with the usual bullying just for being different.

I'm only up to the 5th episode, but I'm already hooked, and longing for more. This is one of the most honest feeling dramas about being a teen that I've seen in a long time. Characters remind me both of myself, and of people I have known. Some of the characters may seem like the deadbeats others think they are, but we are offered an insight into their characters, that lets us care about them.

Interesting fact: The school which they attend is called William McKinley High, which is also the name given to the school in Glee. I'm guessing this was a reference to Freaks and Geeks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment