Friday, 16 September 2011

Drop Dead Gorgeous

Drop Dead Gorgeous is on TV tonight. I love that film. It has such an offbeat sense of humour, it reminds me a bit of John Waters films like CryBaby. It's set in a small town, and everyone is an odd character, some nice, some horrible, all really eccentric. It sends up pageants in a really funny way, with a crazy pageant mum killing off contestants to make sure her daughter wins.

Starring a cast of now well known actresses, including Kirsten Dunst, Denise Richards, Kirstie Alley, Amy Adams and the late and delightful Brittany Murphy, this remains one of my favourite films. I must have seen it time after time, I used to have it on video and I must have seen it at least twice a year since it came out until I didn't have a video player anymore. I could say the lines with the characters if I wanted. Is that really bad?

I don't want to describe the characters because it wouldn't do them justice. They are crazy people and you really find yourself loving them. As the heroine of the piece, Kirsten Dunst is an upbeat tapdancing dynamo who dreams of being a news presenter like her idol Diane Sawyer, and does makeup in a funeral home as her after school job. Kirstie Alley is brilliant as a pageant mom and judge we all recognise with her saccharine respectability that hides a nasty conniving nature.

Anyway, enough about Drop Dead Gorgeous, I have to go watch it. But if you haven't go see it right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment