Friday, 23 September 2011

DIY: Eye fingernails


So I've been looking at fingernail art recently, and it's really inspired me. There was this awesome image of eyes painted on fingernails on Callur Villade's tumblr, and it made me think I'd like to do something like that. So I did this simpler version, I think it looks pretty cool in the end!

You will need:



Googly eyes (also known as Joggle eyes. These are another $2 bag from my local cheap shop, they're an assortment of sizes, I used the smallest ones. If you only want them for your nails and can just get a bag of small ones, that's great, too. I think I've seen even smaller ones in pictures.)



Black nail polish



White nail polish



A base colour that is not black or white.

Painted Eyes:

Step 1: Paint your nails in any colour except black or white. Colours that are fairly bright and contrast well with the white and black are good. You don't want them to sink in.



Step 2: Make a little white dot on the nail with the white nail polish where you want the eye to be. You can do more than one, if you like. Clusters of eyes look cool!



Step 3: Carefully, with the sharpest edge of the brush, make a dot of black nail polish in the middle of the white one. Do it lightly, don't press too hard. If you do this with a nail art pen instead, it's probably best to wait until the white nail polish dries.



You now have painted eyes on your fingers!

Googly eye nails:

Step 1: Paint your nails in any colour except black or white. Colours that are fairly bright and contrast well with the white and black are good. You don't want them to sink in.




Step 2: Use nail glue to carefully glue the googly eye where you want it on the nail. If you find small enough ones, you might be able to fit a few on.


(These ones don't look quite as good as the first set, 'cause I had to paint them with my left hand, but I still love them!)

With this one, there is always a danger of the googly eyes falling off, so I would do it not too long before you go out and maybe bring nail glue and spare googly eyes with you. If you want a no fuss method, painting them on is definitely easier!

7 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I did something sort of similar a while back with googley-eyed monsters (almost at the bottom http://iwantlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/on-canvases-and-phases-and-whatsit.html). Good job!
    <3Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you are great at this! thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, I wanted to try some eyeball nails for halloween but never got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cool. I'd love to try this out! x

    ReplyDelete